Monday, December 22, 2008

Bigger EGGS

[NOTE: As in some previous posts transcribed from my printouts, some words were cut off when printed and are now lost. -SC]

Date sent: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 08:40:13 -0500
Send reply to: Gary and Gail Gygax
From: Gary and Gail Gygax
Subject: [GREYTALK] Bigger EGGS
To: GREYTALK@MITVMA.MIT.EDU

Scott & Jenn wrote:

>I figured this was going to happen once Gygax joined the list- people a
out to
>prove that they are intelligent and witty and thus must engage themselves
in a
>duel of words with Gygax...which instead of allowing him to be a useful
>contributor of information forces him into spending what little time he
>devote to the list defending himself (I can see RJK tearing the hair from
his
>head now...). C'mon people, get real. Love his work, hate his work, l
not
>devote the next 6 months to “who can one-up Gygax”. Do we really need
>critique the spelling of his posts?? I think we all make those mistakes
yet
>only he is picked on for it...you know what he meant, GET OVER IT!! Th
I am
>sure he won't (probably because he is amussed by it all) I wouldn't blame
him at
>all for leaving this list. He logs and we beat him over the head with
a
>stick.

Because it is amusing to see the silly attacks, coming from people who wouldn't have a fanclub to belong to if it weren't for me, and that's from writing the underlying game system to creating the world base of which they are fans of, I am not lgoing to leave. To be blunt, the “attacks” are pretty inept and don't score damage, so to speak. I used to spar in private with Jerry Pournelle, L. Sprague, and Jack Chalker, amongst others (such John boardman in the pages og his wrteched Dippy zine GRAUSTARK ;). Compared to that, these are club fighters. So never fear! The detractors armed with their sticks, me with my well-honed bardiche, the contest is
mismatch and pure fun for me.

>I am NOT saying you cannot or should not disagree with him, but let's
>keep it relevant to the particular post at hand.

Golly! I do hope some disagreement will occur. That's one of the best
to learn something—like the other person's POV. I, for one, will keep as civil as my opponent's, but I reserve the right to be irreverent and iconoclastic.

>We claim to be mature gamers
>with ideas to share yet all he has seen so far are little boys cat fighting.

Well, that seems rather true, I am sad to say, in regard to some of the comments I have seen. But it is easy to ignore obstreperous kiddies. ;)

>Oh, and if can't resist the urge to continue swapping barbs with Gygax,
so
>via private e-mail...the rest of us are NOT impressed. And to Gary Welsh
this
>is NOT directed at you, only that your name happens to be part of the long post
>that has driven me to beating my fists against the computer and writing
this
>note.

Aw, don't get over-dramatic here. It isn't like I am all that important
anything really. Things got along well enough here before I joined, right? So the world isn't going to end if I don't contribute much to the list. On the other hand, there are some things I might be able to contribute that might be use of some here . . .

>And, my own plug, I am still waiting to hear from people on the ½ Giant
>thing... :)

Hmm. I know a half-halfling is a quartling, but a half-giant? Can't h
there!

Ciao!
Gary Gygax
mailto:ggygax@genevaonline.com
visit my website at http://www.gygax.com
and play LEGENDARY ADVENTUREtm FRPG!
Vote for MING THE MERCILESS in 1999
Start early, vote often!
Forget getting tough on crime.
IT IS TIME TO GET TOUGH ON EVERYONE!
Hey Look! A new professional RPG magazine: TROLL.
Famous guys like ME have columns and articles in it ;)

No comments: